Fire has gutted the Kumasi Central market in the Ashanti region with several shops and goods worth thousands of Ghana cedis destroyed, Starr fm has gathered.
Reports indicate that the fire destroyed over 15 other shops before it was put out by the personnel from the Ghana National Fire Service.
According to reports, several shoppers and traders who were trapped in the market were rescued by the Police.
An eyewitness told Starrfmonline.com that the fire started after an electric cable fell when a Kia truck which was unloading mattresses cut through it, causing the cable to catch fire.
Credit: Starr 103.5FM