Kumawood, Ghana’s largest movie industry has seen quite a lot of talented people as Kumawood actors and actresses.
Some of Kumawood’s best actors and actresses started acting right before the Ghana Theater came into existence.
Now that the institution is at its peak, releasing more than 50 movies per month, there are actresses who have graced it up to this level and are worth mentioning.
The list below outlines the best 10 Kumawood actresses of all times.
Some have featured in more than 100 movies hence have made their faces so popular while some others are on the list because of their natural acting skills rather than reading and obviously acting out written manuscripts.
She is one of the fastest grown actresses in the Kumawood industry. Miss Gafah born to Mr. and Mrs. Kwaku Badu in the Ashanti Region, is a former student of Presbyterian Secondary School in Kumasi, Benedicta has plans obtaining a degree in Marketing. 10. Benedicta Gafah She has been featured in few movies such as Mirror Girl, Kweku Saman, Adoma, Agyanka Ba, Azonto Ghost, Poposipopo, Ewiase Ahenie, April fool, Agya Koo Azonto, Devils Voice and I Know My Right, she is a product of Mr. Samuel Nyamekye of Miracle Films.
9. Miriam Akyere BruwaaShe has starred in over 50 movies and earned nominations in the Kumawood Akoben Awards. She has been in limelight for the past six years.
8. Mathilda Asare Actress Matilda Asare won the best actress comedy award at the 2013 Kumawood and Akoben Movie Awards (KAM Awards). She has starred in numerous local movies like Ghana Police, Village Champion, All Die Be die, Boyz Abre, Sure Banker etc. She began her acting career in the year 2007 up to date; she still remains one of the comic actresses in the indigenous movies. she is married to film producer Sarfo Tuckson of peace and love film.
The 47-year-old mother of two, Christiana Awuni has played in movies such as Sika Nti, Dufie, Maso Aware, Ware Me and Metim Nea Metim. She and Bernard Nyarko commonly known as Bishop are secretly warming up to tie the knot.
6. Maame Serwaa
Maame Serwaa known in private life as Clara Benson has been on screen for about 7 years now. She won 2013 Kumawood and Akoben Movie Awards most favourite actress. The 17-years Maame Serwaa is currently a student of OKESS, and studying General Arts as her choice of course.
5. Vivian Jill
Vivian Jill Lawrence, is one of the pretties and calm actress in the indigenous movie screens. She has been in the limelight for the past 9 years with her acting prowess. Vivian who is 32 years happens to be one of the richest actresses in Ghana.
4. Rose Afrakoma Mensah aka KyeiwaaRose Afrakoma Mensah, known in showbiz as Akua Atta Kyeiwaa born on 1963 is 52 years. she is Ghana’s version of Patience Ozokwor. She has starred in over 150 movies with multiple awards to her credit. Akua Attaa, a mother of two girls, got into acting some eighteen years ago, and her magnificent way of interpreting roles given to her in movies are so vivid that the audience is often carried away from an imaginary ground into absolute paranoia.
CLICK HERE TO WATCH KUMAWOOD TWI MOVIES FREE
Since the movie ‘Kyeiwaa’ was released, many people seem to have forgotten that Kyeiwaa who is largely perceived as a wicked woman has also played good-hearted roles in movies like “Akonoba”, “Cross Road”, “Abebrese” and “Ogyam” which were all big hits.
3. Emelia BrobbeyA Ghanaian actress who was born on Friday 6th January to Samuel P Brobbey and Miss Selina Amponsah who hails from Akim Swedru in the Eastern Region of Ghana.
Emelia is highly indebted to the great actor Daniel Adeleye who introduced her into the movie industry.
Emelia’s first audition was at the Kumasi cultural centre and it was led by Mr. Samuel Nyamekye C.E.O of Miracle Films which landed her first role in a movie titled Tribal war in 2002, after which she has shot over 100 movies and still looking forward in making Ghana and her fans all over the world proud.
2. Mercy Aseidu Mercy Asiedu known in showbiz as Asabeaa (born 6 May 1969) is a Ghanaian actress and a music writer. She found mainstream success following her rousing performance in the Kristo Asafo Concert Party in 90`s. CLICK HERE TO WATCH KUMAWOOD TWI MOVIES FREE
Asoreba is often cited as the movie that ushered Twi-language Ghanaian movies into the mainstream, a fact that is partly attributed to Mercy`s performance in the film.
Her performance in Asoreba in 2003 opened the floodgates to choicer roles, landing her spots on various TV series and comic movies including Adult only her first English Movie.
In the middle of 2004, the movie Kumasi Yonko), co-starring Agya Koo and Nana Ama Mcbrown, turned Mercy Asiedu into a household name. Since then, she has slowly built a strong following by releasing a slew of critically acclaimed movies.
Mercy is definitely one of the top kumawood actresses of all time.
1. Nana Ama Mcbrown
Felicity Ama Agyemang, born on 15 August known as Nana Ama McBrown is a Ghanaian actress and a music writer. She found mainstream success following her rousing performance in the Twi-language movie Asoreba. CLICK HERE TO WATCH KUMAWOOD TWI MOVIES FREE
Asoreba is often cited as the movie that ushered Twi-language Ghanaian movies into the mainstream, a fact that is attributed to Nana Ama’s performance in the film.
Versatile Nana Ama Mcrbown has been in the industry over a decade now and still remains one of the versatile players in the film industry. Because of her acting prowess she has won multiple awards in and outside the country. She has featured in countless movies along side with other talented actors and actresses.